Your resume is the first opportunity you have to make a good impression in your job or internship search. Even if you have developed an academic resume in the past, it is important that you know it does not follow the same format.
During the last KIPP workshop, we shared useful tips and highlights with our participants that we believe every successful resume should have. Here is a summary:
What sections should a successful resume have?
- Header. Share your contact information here clearly and differentiate yourself by providing a link to your LinkedIn profile if it is up to date!
- Education. It’s time to talk about your education. Share your GPA and estimated graduation date if you haven’t already completed your major.
- Work experience. Starting with the most recent job you have had or still have, share the roles you’ve held and the most relevant tasks you performed.
- Leadership and service experiences. This section is very important if you have little or no work experience! The employer will value this area because it provides information on transferable skills such as leadership, communication, teamwork, etc.
- Skills. End with your languages, computer literacy level, or relevant skills.
Finally, remember to choose a good format, reflect the information clearly, and be very careful with spelling and grammar.
Your resume must show that you are the ideal candidate to fill the vacancy you are applying for.
Do you need help with your resume? If you are a Kinesis Scholar or Alumni and do not belong to KIPP yet, contact us at email@example.com and start enjoying our exclusive services today!